Monday, May 3, 2010

Do Not Do That

What ever it is that I ask or in many situations order Hanna to do she will try as hard as she can to do just the opposite of that. I know some of that is just being an almost thirteen year old. All kids at this age try in some way to push the envelope with the rules parents have, but this kid goes far beyond that all the time.

She has a yellow t-shirt and I tell her that she looks nice in it so she goes and changes to something else.

I say why don`t you finish those Cheerios off (there is about one serving left and I know she like them) so what does she do, she goes and opens a new box of cereal. Now I have five open boxes of cereal in the cabinet and I am sure she will not eat those Cheerios.

I say it is going to be pretty cool outside so you might want to wear jeans so what does she come in, a pair of shorts.

I told her that she was doing a good job matching those socks so now she claims that she does not know how to match socks.

The kid just figures that if she does ANYTHING that pleases me then she has to accept me as her mom and she is going to do everything she can to make sure that does not happen. I can play this game just as well as she can, maybe even better since I am a little bit more intelligent the she is. It does make me a bit crazy though to be positive and then have someone who turns that positive into a negative every time. Sometimes I just say to her "do not do that because I want you to" and then she looks at me as if I am an alien who has just landed on planet earth.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! It gets worse for a couple of years(14, 15, 16, 17), then it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol sorry. i know that's frustrating. but gosh almighty, if sissy doesn't pull this crap too! so now I say, "whatever you do, DON'T put on pants. Legs would really rather be cold and goose-bumped"

    or "Oh please, don't finish that last bit of cereal in the box. I have little gremlins living in the pantry and they have come to rely on that little bit you leave in there all the time."

    or if it's a shirt she looks nice in, "huh. that shirt has a cool collar." or some other really banal comment that means nothing but inadvertently lets her know it's nice. I only offer the conditional positive if I know she'll receive it. Then I'll say something like, "I like the way you paired that shirt with those shorts. Nice combination. I've noticed that you have a knack for knowing what goes well together."

    anyway, that's how I play it with Sissy or I'll get all the other crap which makes my hair stand on end! lol

    ReplyDelete